Saturday, May 23, 2009

Quail on the Town Pillow - Handprinted Patchwork

quail pillow front
I made a new pillow. It combines the popular line drawing of city homes, and the Echino by Etsuko Furuya fabric, a nice stripey fabric along with my block printed quail on a cotton patterned with calligraphy. The reverse is a textured cream fabric with a grey stripe and green minouette block printed tentacle label, combined with a funky vintage game bird fabric.

It is 12 inches (30.5 cm) tall and 13 inches (33 cm) wide.

My mother saw this print and said, "It`s a prairie chicken!"
I responded, "Right... uh.. it`s a quail. Q for quail."
My mother`s nostalgia for the prairie knows no bounds. I looked it up- a prairie chicken is related to, but not identical to a quail. Males have those nifty circular, orange unfeathered neck patches which can be inflated while displaying in the mating ritual called booming. They lack, however, the distinctive quail top-feather.

quail pillow reverse

No comments: